Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Hola Spencer - Email Between Dad and Spencer

Here's another personal email between me and Spencer that I want to share and preserve:

Hey dude!

I mean dad.

Err, Bishop.

Wow, you're schedule is really booked! How do you feel about it? I mean, before I left you were busy and I was always surprised at how much you had to do, but you've definitely gotten a lot more responsibility since I left, so how is it all going? What is a really awesome thing about it? 

Hey I like these questions! It's fun to think about the answers!

  1. Well, there are a couple ways that I have learned from him; things that he says, and things that he does. Something he always says is "the most important time to work is when you don't want to," which is super true and is the stuff of great people. He is one of the most dedicated and hard working people I've ever met in my life. Dad, he has a wikipedia page. You can totally look him up. Did I ever tell you he's filthy rich? But only because he worked for it! He is an awesome example of dedication to whatever you are doing, in this moment preaching the gospel, but he's dedicated to anything does. So I guess dedication.~
  2. Haha this is a funny question just because it totally happens. In the Book of Mormon, I share 1 Nephi 17:2-3 a lot. Haha in English it says the women "gave their children much suck" or something like that, in Portuguese it just says they had "bastante leite," which means "plenty of milk," which sounds better to me. I love it because Nephi was in a really sucky situation if you think about it, and Laman and Lemuel were probably murmuring, but Nephi focused on the fact that they were so blessed! And then he testifies that "if the children of men keep the commandments of God, he will feed them and strangthen them and give them ways by which they may fulfill the things which he ordained" or something along those lines. I'm currently translating that from my portuguese scriptures, want to see a picture?? (my scriptures, and then my face by my scriptures) I also share the story of Peter walking on the water a lot, partly because it's my favorite bible story and partly because it applies to everyone! We lose sight of Christ and start to fall, and then he catches us and asks us why we doubted. There's more to it than that, but I'm trying to be frank.
  3. Obedience is so essential. My favorite D&C scripture is 130:20-21 which talks about blessings being given based on our obedience. Obedience is how we fulfill everything we came on earth to do. Faith is followed by obedience, to gain knowledge. Repentance is being obedient to God's will be leaving behind old habits and starting new ones. Baptism IS obedience. The first law of heaven is obedience, and I never really knew why, but now I know! Obedience is how God governs everthing. When God formed the earth, the materials used obeyed his command through the priesthood. His plan is based on obedience bringing blessings. Again, I've gotta be frank, but that is a short version of what I have learned. Applying it is the hard part!
  4. One cool thing about the office is that I'm doing, like, grown up stuff! I deal with money and visas and other people and if I mess up, it's not just a wrong answer on a test, it's kind of a problem! So it's cool to have big responsibilities.
  5. Yup!
Haha oh my goodness When you said Anna had a story to tell, I thought it was going to be a good one. HOW LAME! Oooh, boys. ðŸ‘¿

Well, love you dad! Guess what? In a few days you'll be a couple hours flight from me!! I could take a trip for €40 and come see you! Should I?

Have fun!

Love, Elder Valentine!

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Dear Elder Valentine,

Greetings, my son! I hope you are fully recovered from bed bites! Wow. And here I thought you were going to a first world country! 

It was a long week for me last week. Work is a bit stressful right now as I prepare for my trip to London and Tel Aviv. There’s also a ton of other stuff going on at work that’s keeping me extremely busy. My usual work day is that I start meetings at 8 and don’t stop meeting back –to-back-to-back meetings until about 430 or so, including through lunch. Then I have to actually get things done that requires work at home in the evenings or late into the afternoon because I can’t get much done being in meetings all day! As for the home front, Monday night was yard work. Tuesday and Wednesday are always church nights. I get to the church about 6 and stay until about 10 on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Thursday I went to Provo in the evening for dinner with one of my teams, then met up with Anna and Mom at a theatre in Salt Lake and watched “Jekyll and Hyde.” Friday night I helped the Gibbys move out of their house (they are moving within the ward) and Saturday I helped another family move, then worked around the house and yard. Anna went to Homecoming on Saturday so we were here taking pictures of her, etc. I’m sure Mom or Anna will tell you more and send pictures, so I won’t spoil their thunder.

Yesterday we celebrated Grandma Valentines 80th birthday. Can you believe that? My Dad is 85 and my Mom is 80. I can’t believe my parents are so old. It feels like yesterday that I was at home with them. Isn’t it amazing how time flies? You are now under 9 months until you come home. Before you know it your mission will be what you tell other young men about rather than something you are now actively doing. I feel the same way about being a bishop, knowing that someday that will end and I won’t have this opportunity any more. All we can both do—you and I—is to work as hard as we can while we can. 

I have a few questions for you, if you have time to answer them:

  1. What is one thing that you have learned from your mission president that will stay with you after your mission ends?
  2. What story from the Book of Mormon do you find yourself telling over and over again?
  3. What one principle of the Gospel do you understand at a deeper level now than a year ago? 
  4. What is your current favorite thing about working in the office?
  5. Bonus question: have you learned to like shrimp??

I hope Mom sends you pictures of her incredible cake! And you need to see pictures of how beautiful Anna looked at the dance. She has a crazy homecoming story to tell you. 

I’ll be in London at this time next week, so I’ll write you a bit earlier this week before I leave. I get to spend a couple full days in the Holy Land, so I should have lots of good stories and experiences to tell you next week. 

Have a great P-Day! I hope you actually get a bit of time to relax for a change!
Love ya!
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment