Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Reply to "On My Way to a Country Near You" (Oct 17)

Daddio!

You're probably preparing for your fancy dinner with the Vice President of Findmypast! Que chique! You're such a stud.  This isn't even your first time, is it? Speaking of this, I don't remember when you got your new position anymore; was it before I left or after? I remember that you for sure didn't travel as much as you are right now. What would you say is your average travel schedule? Like, once a month for a few days, or something like that? Or more? What's Tel Aviv? 

I haven't thought about obedience as a gift of the spirit like that before! But it makes sense because I wonder how people just don't get it sometimes. It seems so logical to me as a life rule. Thanks dad!

I don't remember if I said it last week, but it's really fun to respond to your questions and it gives me some things to write about! Your question is really good, too. I think the differences between the church here and in Utah are enormous! And I hadn't actually thought about it like that before. Actually, missionaries will sometimes complain (and I'm not excluded, unfortunately) about different things that we think should be better. But to think about it in the light of the church being "young" here is a much healthier train of thought! I think because of the small size (congregationally) and big size (geographically), it's hard for the members to have a close relationship sometimes. We have members that live a half hour away to come to church - that's like us going to brigham city every sunday! When Elder Bednar came here, he put a huge emphasis on "putting them to work", as in giving more members callings to help them serve and stay active. The less active rate here is HUGE - like, enourmous. We have less than 100 attend church every week, and the member list copy that I have has over 900 people on it. That's so many people! There could be another 4 or 5 strong wards with that! But a big part of it is the isolated feeling that I see - members without callings, and members who live far. These aren't negative things, just things that "are" because the church is young here. I think the church only has 40 or 50 years here. Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head, but I'll think more about it!

Thanks dad! I love you! Here's a fat face picture for your enjoyment. 


Love, Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment