Monday, October 26, 2015

Portugal Week 1: Group Email

Here's Elder Valentine's first group email from Portugal!

Dear everyone,

So, sorry i didn't write last week, I just so happened to be on a plane for Portugal!!!!!! For anyone who didn't know, I got my visa, and am currently sitting in a little room upstairs from a shop on the busiest city street I've ever seen! (sorry if i mess up with any of this email, portuguese computers are not made for people who speak english.) Anyway, Portugal is SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!! I'm just a little excited. haha! So I don't really have a lot of time today, it's been kind of crazy but we had to take the metro and a taxi to get here like a half hour late, but it's all good! 

So first off, President Amorim is like super sweet! He's definitely the most strict and stern man I've ever met. Before he was called he was somr crazy brazilian business man worth something around 2 billion dollars. So he knows how to get stuff done. He is very loving and supportive, but doesn't take kindly to laziness, which is totally fine for me! I have two companions, Elder LeBaron and Elder Johnson. Elder johnson was in the mtc with me, so Elder Lebaron is actually training both of us! We have 5 investigators right now, and I love them all! Although I don't understand any of them. Haha! If you've ever seen 'the best two years', It's like that. 'THis wasn't the language they taught me in the mtc, elder!' haha oh man. I don't understand ANYONE. We'll go up to people and I'll say 'Ola! tudo bem?' and then they will talk in portuguese for a bit and I'll say 'um, we have a message...' in portuguese of course, and one of my companions helps me out. Dang. It's crazy here. Also our investigators are super sweet. I think about 75 percent of the people here smoke, so that's a big issue, and it's a lot more expensive to be married than to just have a boyfriend or girlfriend, so no one gets married, and EVERYONE is catholic. Literally! Haha it's so funny here! The old people are all crazy, and the young people all make fun of my portuguese because a lot of the youth speak english. Anyway, we have this investigator Maria Deseu who read the first pamphlet and answered all of the questions in the back which no one does, and went to church, and we are going to invite her to be baptized tomorrow! Whoo! Portugal is a crazy place. I'm SO sorry that this email is all over the place. I've had a really crazy last two weeks and not a lot of time to talk ãbout them, so please forgive me.

Spiritual thought - I finished the book of mormon for the first time since I left on my mission, and man, can i just say, that that book is amazing. The book of mormon can answer EVERY question you have about just about anything you need help with. I love the book of Moroni - if you have time, read those 10 chapters, and be uplifited! The book of Mormon is the word of god. I don't doubt it in the slightest. If you want to be close to god, read it. If you need help with your family, read it. If you are sad, read it. If you want eternal salvation, read it. You can read it if you want the coolest action stories ever (the whole book of alma), you can, but that's just a bonus. I love the book of mormon! It is my rock out here. It helps me know that I am loved by an almighty being who, if I put my trust in him, I will be okay! I love having that comfort. I love the book of mormon! I testify that it was written for us, so I think that we should take the time to do what mormon intended, which was for us to find happiness in it. 

I love you guys! I'm so happy to be in Portugal! See you next week!


 - Elder Valentine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment