Monday, October 26, 2015

Portugal Week #2: Family Email

Hey family!
Wow! What a week! Or two weeks, I guess - man, it is crazy how quick things are going here. I hit my 3 month mark a few days ago! No way! That means I only have 7 more of those left! Haha that´s actually pretty crazy! First off, thanks so much anna and amanda and kimberly for writing to me - I really really love you guys so much and I love hearing how you are doing! Happy late anniversary (I don´t know if that´s spelled right) Kimber and Kevin! Holy cow! I´ve had a big brother for five years! That´s crazy! Also... I totally don´t know how portuguese computers work for pictures, so I´ll try next week to figure it out... I´m so sorry! Haha but I will make sure to send a bunch when I figure out how!

Dad - since Elder LeBaron is going home this transfer, we have talked a lot about stuff he will do when he gets home, which includes seeing star wars 7. the picture you sent me IS SO SWEET. Haha it also makes me trunky (thinking about home). Unfortunatley, the internet place that we are at doesn´t really do printing, so I can´t print anything off here. Maybe when I go to another area I´ll be able to! I love that quote by Elder Scott! I´ve really been searching for spiritual guidance here, so that was just so awesome to read! So the language... haha oh man! It´s rough! A lot of people here speak super fast, and I have really found out that when people say that it sounds like they have marbles in there mouth, it´s true. Haha but it´s actually been pretty cool - I can see myself understanding more and more everyday and speaking a little faster or another word I learned here or there - the gift of tongues is so real! Elder LeBaron and Elder Johnson are both really good at portuguese, especiall E LeBaron, so that helps a lot. But the really good thing is that I have never been scared while I have been out here! I get a little lost sometimes and embarrased when people are talking to me and I don´t know what they said, but like, with contacting 50 people on the street every day and everything, I haven´t been nervous at all! I know that I am being blessed and strengthened out here and nothing has been scary! Yay Holy Ghost! We live in a little apartment with 7 elders there. Wow. Food dissapears fast and the bathroom is always occupied. Also, Elder Wait is the elder who sleeps in my room and he snores louder than ANYONE I have ever heard. In my life. No joke. All night. Haha I got 30 minutes of sleep a couple nights ago because of it. ah... Haha! It´s rough, but I´ll get over it! Tudo bem! Culture wise, there is a very distinctive greeting here in portugal between women/a man to a woman - they say hello and then kiss the right cheek and then the left. It´s really interesting! We can´t do it because we´re missionaries, but everyone does it! The women also shake hands with men by sticking their wrist out at you and letting you shake their wrist. It´s kind of weird looking, haha! The Portuguese people are just SO FUNNY. I´m pretty sure every person above the age of 50 is crazy. They all just say the funniest things and are very short tempered. It´s been interesting to hear common phrases in portuguese - "fica bem" is like take care, but literally "stay well," "pois" and "tipo" are like how people use "like" a lot in there sentences, "tudo bem" is "all is well," and is the most common response to "Como o que estas?" which is just "how are you?" It´s all very interesting!

Mom -  I have just about everything I need! They have most everything we have in america, just portugalized. Some counterparts include; milk - it isn´t refrigerated and tastes... not yummy. Bathrooms - I don´t know how to spell it, but baday? Little toilet looking thing that replaces toilet paper? yeah, no. We go buy toilet paper because... that´s weird. The sinks also have a fosset (don´t know how that ones spelled) for hot and one for cold, so you can´t get a nice in the middle warm water! Also, the water is not very sanitary to drink. Sometimes it´s light brown. Yucky. Haha but these things are not too bad! Pastries are sweet, literally, and the temperature is really nice, and I love the people, so it´s all good! We are still in a triple companionship, and will be for this transfer. It works out though! Lessons and contacting are pretty good with three people! P days are all about groceries, cleaning the house, emails, and trying to fit something fun in the middle. We went bowling last p day, but we didn´t get to do anything today. You can go site seeing and stuff, so hopefully I can do that soon! I´ll try and send a letter in the next few weeks - there is just so little time to do anything around here, and I don´t know how to get mailing stuff, but I will get a letter out to you guys for sure! Love you, mom! :)

Anna and Ethan - I love you guys! It´s so fun to see pictures of you guys that dad sends - you both look like you´re growing so much! It´s really weird! My only difference is some more beard hair, which is just annoying... haha It´s crazy. I´m sorry that friends have been a problem, anna - I pray for the whole family every night, so I´ll make sure to pray for you with friends. :) Besides that, I just really love you guys! Thanks for being good siblings and good kids! :)

Okay! Well, I hope I answered some questions, and  I´ll get pictures next week for sure... maybe. Haha oh man. Time flies here! But that´s a good thing! 7 more three monthers left! Love you guys! Bye!

Love, Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment