Monday, May 29, 2017

Missionaries Coming and Going - May 22

Hey there you fat lard!

Sorry, that was disrespectful. 

Greetings, my good Father!

So for real, thanks for that part following your thoughts on D&C 93. To be totally honest, I've been what you might consider the opposite of trunky, or maybe just a different version of trunky - I have been scared to leave the mission because it has become everything that I do, and has given me so much purpose! I was thinking about what would happen after I get home and about some goals, like goals for music, or studying, or working out, or gospel study, but as I was thinking, I couldn't really fix an "end point" in my mind. I guess that's what scares me. My end point right now is the end of the mission, and I will work hard every day until that happens. But then, after that, what's the end goal? It's kind of an expanded experience of what I imagine people go through who don't have the Gospel. "What in the world am I doing here? What is really the purpose of life? Wake up, go to work, take care of family, have fun, go to bed, and repeat, every day until I die?" There is no substance to it. And I guess I'm kind of going through a version of that haha. What will be my end goal? But I think my view is just really narrow right now because of the mission and I haven't really thought a lot about it, so it's just undeveloped. ANYWAY, your last paragraph was really comforting, especially when you said that "whatever we are doing in this life CAN and SHOULD be the best experience of our lives and not just something from the past." Thanks dad. 

Also, that's REALLY awesome that so many youth from the ward are going on missions! Whoohoo! I don't know how it would work out, but I'd love to just say hi to Garrett before he leaves. Maybe wednesday morning? Or a quick visit Tuesday night? I don't know, but I just want to congratulate him and tell him how great and how quick his mission is going to be!

Thanks dad! I think this is why I needed to get on the email today. I'm going to study D&C 93 when I get home tonight. Love ya!

Love, Elder Valentine!


On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Elder Valentine,

Greetings! I’ve been thinking about how interesting our LDS missionary experience is for the young man or young woman and the parents and the whole church. You are now starting your last transfer! That’s amazing! For our family we are now counting down the last 6 weeks of your mission. There’s all these mixed feelings at the end of the mission and all the blessings of the experience and your service, plus thoughts about the future. Then there’s the families of the missionaries who are about to leave, and all their emotions of parting and excitement and anticipation and separation for two years. I’m thinking even more about this because of so many now are about to leave.

Ethan Gibby has his call to Florida, he is leaving July 21. Garret Figgins received his call and assignment (thank you Elder Bednar!) to Chicago and he leaves on July 5! This made me think even more about the coming and going, with you coming home one day and he leaving the very next day! Ryan Wallentine received his call this week as well, and he’s assigned to Ecuador. I also met with Dani Van Brocklin and started her on the process. She can turn in her papers on July 4! And then there’s Anna’s friend, Spencer, who leaves in about 3 weeks. Lots of missionary activity right now!

I was reading last night DC 93. This is the famous section about “the glory of God is intelligence” which is the quote used all over the place at BYU. I am so grateful that you are committed to going to school on your return. I see so many young adults who wander on strange paths no certain of what to do, mostly because they lack a clear goal. I know that the mission has been the main goal, and it should be! But you have so much goodness ahead of you as well. Life is not the mission. The mission is the preparation and service to make your life even more meaningful! Rob Perkins used to say that his missions had been the best two years of his life TO THAT POINT, but his marriage to Rhonda and having children, etc., were THEN the best years of his life! The point is, whatever we are doing in this life CAN and SHOULD be the best experience of our lives and not just something from the past. Your experience in college and getting married, etc., will become the best years of your life as well, and I’m excited for your journey ahead! 

Work and yard work and church work is dominating my life right now! All are going pretty well, but it’s a lot of work! Really looking forward to our big vacation in July, partly to get a break from all the various kinds of work! 

Okay, sorry this was a bit late. Have a great week! WORK hard! I’ll try to do the same!
Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment