Monday, May 1, 2017

Reply to "Easter, Birthday, USU" April 17

Hey dad!

I can't believe that Ethan Gibby and Garrett are getting their calls. It seriously blows my mind. they were so young when I left! (not that I'm old but whatever) I'm so glad that Garrett has changed. I've been thinking about these types of changes lately; it's interesting that the commandments in the scriptures and in modern day revelation are mostly focused on personality/characteristics/behaviors. Being humble, loving (of all people, not just your family etc.) patient, honest, serving, virtuous, healthy (in a Word of Wisdom sense) are all attributes that are SO far from what the world focuses on. In a worldly sense, it wouldn't be the worst thing if Garrett were to stay as a kind of an attention loving immature kind of guy, but the Gospel, or more specifically Christ, requires so much more from us. The Gospel really shouldn't be just the way we live, it should be the way we are. So anyway, that's really awesome that Garrett is getting ready to serve! I'm excited for both of them!

I'm excited to hear how the Joseph Smith activity goes. Let me know!

Is the Brad Wilcox book called the Infinite Atonement? It looks super good if it is! Haha it's kind of funny because on the mission I can only read the scriptures and the missionary library (true to the faith, our search for happiness, our legacy, and Jesus the Christ (which I have now read 4 times I think)) and they are all super good, but I've been tempted to read other church books but I can't. I totally agree 110% with all the mission rules and don't have a problem following them, but stuff like this is sometimes funny. If I were to read another church book I would feel like I'm sinning, even though it's good. Makes me laugh sometimes. Mom told me about your birthday and stuff (sorry I messed up on that, by the way, haha it was the very end of pday and I was rushing to send you a little happy birthday email, and counted from 1972 wrong! But hey, it makes you look younger, right?) and it looked like a lot of fun. I'm sorry you all got sick! I've been healthy lately (except for the extra belly/hips/butt I've gained in the office) and I'm grateful for it! 

I'm in the office stealing Elder Trindade's computer to write real quick, and then I will be heading down to Santarém later today. It's 2 1/2 to 3 hours to get there by train. I'll have my first real day down there tomorrow, and I'll be back up here in Porto for MLC on Thursday. I'll never truly leave!


I think that it'll work out to stay home. So USU will still let me take the test even if it's after I get home? What's the time limit? Because I would love to take a couple days reviewing some math stuff - I haven't used ANYTHING on the mission and I know I'm pretty rusty. But in general, I'm okay with it. It'll be nice to be at home with the family, and price is a big part, so yeah. I can't really imagine all of the logistics yet but I've got a great dad helping me out, so I'm not super worried about it. Not to say that I expect you to just figure it all out! But until I can be more involved I trust you! ;)

So let me repeat - Humanities, Government, English, Biology class and Lab, and Calculus. Would it be unwise to think about adding another class or two? Do you think there would be any big advantage in taking another class (either degree-directed or general)? I guess I don't really want to focus to much on my schedule yet, but I've got lots of stuff running through my head on how it'll be during the semester. That's pretty vague, but if you have any thoughts, I'll be able to look next week on pday. If not, and until then, you said that the classes start registration on the 19th, so I'll talk to you after that. 

Love you dad! Thanks so much for figuring out my life! For real!

Love, Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment