Monday, May 1, 2017

Santarem (April 24)

Dear Everyone,

I'm here in Santarém now! The train ride over was pretty long, and the wheels on one of my bags are pretty much destroyed (thanks to all of this portuguese cobblestone - it happens to every missionary at some point), so it was probably pretty comical to watch some american dragging around his squeaky bags. As the train pulled up to santarém, I got up and grabbed all my bags and was heading for the door, but there was a dog cage right in front of the door to leave; the owner had to come and pull it away, and by the time she grabbed it, the train started leaving! Dang it! The next stop was... Lisbon. In another mission. It was about another 45 minutes until the train stopped. I had to run out, find a train heading back (all of this without a cellphone to tell the missionaries waiting for me in Santarém that I took a detour, thankfully portuguese people are nice and let me use their phones), and head back to Santarém. I got there at like 10 PM when I was supposed to get there at 7:30 haha! But it was lots of fun!

Santarém is soooo hot. And it is only April! Whoohoo! But I can't complain - shoutout to Elder Jacob Jackson who is serving in Ghana, he's probably dying. The city is smaller than all of my other areas and is still one of the biggest cities in the mission - I've only had big cities! 90% of the areas here are in the middle of nowhere basically, but I've had all of the big places. It's definitely not as big as Porto, and it's a nice place! There are a ton of people from Romania here; it's hard to baptize a Portuguese person in this area, so I've been told. Challenge accepted.

Besides that, Elder Carrelo is great! Hard working and happy. It'll be a great transfer!

Have a great week!

- Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment