Tuesday, December 22, 2015

"Placing the Cornerstone"

We are a little off our week counts. Spencer is calling this week #21, but I think that was last week. No matter. Next post will be week #22 just to stay consistent with Elder Valentine. Here's his group email:

Hey everyone! 

Sorry for last week - I would love to tell you some crazy intense story as to why I didn't get to write to you all, but in reality, my companion Elder Crist was trying on European suits for the entire day, so we lost time for email. I was pretty mad. 

But It's all good! Because on the 5th of December, we had the groundbreaking for the Lisbon, Portugal Temple! The members here have had to take a very long trip to the Madrid, Spain temple for their whole lives to be sealed and do temple work, and finally we are going to receive a temple here! It won't be completed for a couple of years, but the people here are so excited!

If any of you have ever had fried bananas, I found them. :)

So our investigator Danilson was supposed to be baptized last saturday, but the week before we ran into him on the street walking to his car to go to Lisbon for a month! We were so confused! He said he was going there to find a job and wouldn't be baptized. We were so sad. And then three days later we found him again, still here in Coimbra, and we were like "dude! What?" apparently he decided not to go. So we are (hopefully) going to baptize him this saturday! 

I have a challenge for you all. Read these two scripture passages:
2 Nephi 33:10-15
10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.
 11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory,that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things,notwithstanding my weakness.
 12 And I pray the Father in the name of Christ that many of us, if not all, may be saved in his kingdom at that great and last day.
 13 And now, my beloved brethren, all those who are of the house of Israel, and all ye ends of the earth, I speak unto you as the voice of one crying from the dust: Farewell until that great day shall come.
 14 And you that will not partake of the goodness of God,and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, and the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God, behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell,for these words shall condemn you at the last day.
 15 For what I seal on earth, shall be brought against you at the judgment bar; for thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey. Amen.
Moroni 10:27-29, 34

 27 And I exhort you to remember these things; for the time speedily cometh that ye shall know that I lie not, for ye shall see me at the bar of God; and the Lord God will say unto you: Did I not declare my words unto you, which were written by this man, like as one crying from the dead,yea, even as one speaking out of the dust?
 28 I declare these things unto the fulfilling of the prophecies. And behold, they shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the everlasting God; and his word shall hiss forth from generation to generation.
 29 And God shall show unto you, that that which I have written is true.
 34 And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge of both quick and dead. Amen.
and now think about this - what will you tell Nephi and Moroni at the judgment bar about how you used the Book of Mormon in your life? How did you use the words of God?
Did you reject them?
Did you put them to the side, thinking that you would use them later? 
Or did you use them to partake of the goodness of God? Because that is what they are for!
I know that the book of Mormon is true. There are so many people who lose or never gain testimonies because they are unwilling to read it. It makes me sad. Because I can testify that this book will bless your life, and help you find salvation. That's a pretty big promise. But I know it's true! I challenge you to read the word of God - apply it to your life, become better through the Atonement of Christ, and then share that goodness with everyone! 

That is all. Until next week!

-Elder Valentine!


No comments:

Post a Comment