Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Reply to "Latest and Greatest from Dad" - May 16

Hey dad! Wow! I loved this letter! I love lots of information. It makes me feel like I know more of the little things that happen! That's so exciting for lanson! I Know he will be an awesome missionary! I am so happy that you are so inspired by the spirit. I love hearing your experiences as a bishop! I liked number 3 a lot. #4 I wish I could help! 5 I didn't realize that his kids weren't part of the church. I have realized a ton here just how much of a blessing it is to have the direction and comfort of the gospel in my life, and what other people don't have. 6. Um so we went to this store Fnac today, and I learned about 1. Rogue 1 (IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!!!!!) 2. Jason Bourne (IT LOOKS SO GOOD I AM SO EXCITED FOR JASON BOURNE!!!!!!) 3. Finding Dori (Also looks good, but yeah) 4. A new DC comics movie with batman 5. probably something else. Super trunky 10 minutes. New Star Trek too??? Man! Haha We will have a fun week of watching all of these movies when I get back home! #7 if she sounds excited then heck yeah! I think mom would like it! 8. I miss the father son campouts! And yay Elder Renlund! Way cool! We both get to see apostles this week!!

Love you lots dad! Ask mom about the letter I sent her. I won't write all it here but we are super super blessed. Love ya!

Love, Elder Valentine!



On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Spencer,

Hey, it was so great to see you and talk to you last week. How is everything going with your new convert? That’s so great that you were able to have this baptism! Congratulations!

I thought I’d give you an update on what’s happening in the ward, and then a few other things.

  1. Lanson got his mission call this week! He opened it on Wednesday. I was teasing him that he would be sent to the Pocatello Idaho mission. When I was being serious I told him I thought he’d go somewhere in Latin America. He is going to Chile! He is really excited. He took 4 years of Spanish so he has a bit of a head start on the language. He leaves on August 23 and goes straight to the MTC in Mexico City. I forgot to give him your letter today but will do so this week. Can you believe it’s been more than a year since you received YOUR mission call? I find that amazing, to think it’s been more than a year so you went through the process that Lanson is right now. 
  2. Today I released my young women presidency and the primary presidency. It was a really emotional and spiritual experience for me. I’ve never had the experience of being choked up while at the pulpit, but the Spirit witnessed two things to me: first, that those who were being released had their offering accepted by the Lord with deep gratitude and love; second, that those who are being called truly have been called of God. The longer I’m in this calling the more I realize that I don’t do much at all…this is the Lord’s work and he does everything. The experience of these callings though have been just so rewarding.
  3. It’s Sunday afternoon at 5:16 PM. I’m sitting in my office at home. I can see homes right across the street from us that weren’t even started when you left on your mission. Most people have their yards in now. It looks totally different than when you left. I can hear Ryleigh downstairs throwing a tantrum. She really has a temper! Anna is asleep in her room. Mom is taking a nap on our bed. Ethan is on the computer. I got home from church at 5:00 and put a roast in the oven. Anna is going crazy waiting to find out if she made it into Productions or Actor’s Company. She and Ethan went to Lagoon yesterday. I went to Spanish Fork to Adam Folkman’s stake and was the keynote speaker at their family history fair. Mom came with me. It was a fun event. Everyone seemed to like the presentation. Last night we went to Jonathon Perkins reception, which was cool. Lots of people there asked about you. I told them you had married a toothless woman in Portugal, had a kid, lived off government welfare, and spent your time sitting around complaining about Americans. 
  4. I spent my Saturday yesterday planting the rest of my garden. The yard is coming along! If I had you here we could get this thing done. Anna’s a pretty good helper. Ethan is getting better. He at least cuts the lawn, which is helpful!
  5. My uncle Lynn Rasmussen passed away, did I tell you that? This is your grandma’s brother. You remember he and Aunt Karen. I went to his funeral on Wednesday. Two of his three children are completely out of the church. They didn’t speak about God or eternal life at all. How sad for them. The active son centered his talk on the Plan of Salvation and the Atonement, and that brought peace and comfort and the Spirit into the funeral. How sad and lonely and empty life is without the Gospel!
  6. On Thursday I took Mom and the kids to see Captain America: Civil War. Pretty darn good. It was Captain America fighting Iron Man, along with some other heroes on both sides. THere’s a new spiderman in this one who was funny. Yet another movie you’ll have to make up . . . After Star Wars of course! The movies the summer I’m most excited about is a new Star Trek, but most important is a new Jason Bourne with Matt Damon. Wahoo! It looks so amazing!! 
  7. Hey, the next Star Wars celebration is in Orlando in May of next year. Think I should take Mom to it?
  8. This coming Friday night is a Father and Son’s campout in our ward (thanks to my great planning). The next day is Mom’s marathon and her concert. She’ll tell you about that. Also, and this is cool, I get to go to a THREE HOUR meeting with Elder Renlund next Saturday. Isn’t that awesome? It’s just for Bishops and Stake Presidents. I cannot wait! I will write like a hundred pages of notes! I’ll share some of it with you in my next email.
Okay, I have just sent you an email WAY TO LONG for you to actually read. My apologies for being so long-winded. I hope you can at least skim through this. 

Have a great week! Look forward to hearing from you! 
Love,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment