Monday, January 9, 2017

December 5 Email (Spencer and Dad)

Hey you big fart!

I hope you don't open this next to Elder Christofferson... that would be awkward for him to see.

That sounds like a way cool trip! It kind of seems like you are doing biweekly trips to places, is that right? So, this is not like a trunky question or anything, but will we be able to go to the Smithsonian on our trip? If not, tudo bem, but if yes, that would be super cool!

What a fun party!

I can't really lie, I don't remember Bonnie Alison super well. :( Could you send me a picture? But that sounds like a really awesome spiritual experience that you had with her. I think I'll want to visit people in whatever ward I'm in for the rest of my life, because I have visited so many people here on the mission and it's the best feeling to help people feel the Spirit and help them progress.

Oh duh! So this week transfers came out on Sunday night and not Monday, so that's why I have a bit of time to write. So I did all of the travel plans yesterday, I did SEF (residency stuff) today, and once I got here there was a bunch of other stuff to do... work never ends! What a depressing thought haha! But one of the office elders, Elder Moeller, is finishing his mission tomorrow, so we will get a new office elder here. Elder Yoder, who has been my comp for the last 3 transfers, will be with Elder Wait, who came in last transfer, and Elder Judd will be my new comp! He is one of the elders that came in with me to Portugal (not the MTC because of California) and he is super awesome. Transfers won't officially happen until tomorrow, so I'll be with Elder Yoder and Elder Wait tonight, but I'm pretty excited. Elder Judd was a zone leader on Madeira island, and is super hard working and we are already really good friends just from coming in together and stuff. But he'll be a new finance secretary - I'm still alone as executive! Haha it's not necessarily bad, but it means that I'll be in the office for at least 5 transfers, because this is my 4th, and I still haven't been able to train anyone, so that's a problem. It has been a super insane last two days and will be a still insane next couple of days. I have never had to think about so many things at the same time in my life. Last night I literally was just trying to leave the office but everytime I got up to leave, I thought of one more thing I needed to get done! Haha it's been pretty funny.

Sister Roque, the Brazilian Senior Sister here, said that her son was an office secretary in his mission as well, and that he liked it so much that he followed a financial secretary office job for his career and is now very successful because of it! Haha but it's really funny that you say that because it's exactly what I was thinking... 

I'll be waiting for those trump pictures! Love you dad! 

Love, Elder Valentine!

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Elder Valentine,

Hi! I didn’t get a chance to email you last week. Now you aren’t having your P Day tomorrow so you likely won’t get a letter from me this week either! Bummer for me! 

I’m headed to Washington DC in the morning. The Smithsonian just opened a new National Museum for African American History. FamilySearch created an index of freed blacks after the Civil War and we are presenting it to the Smithsonian tomorrow among much ceremony. Elder Christofferson of the Quorum of 12 is traveling with us. I’ll be with him, my boss, and the Managing Director of Church Public Affairs tomorrow and Tuesday. Sounds fun, but also a bit stressful! I’ll send you some pictures of me and Donald Trump!!

What a busy week! Mom will probably send you pictures of our epic ward party. It was so much fun! The ward member seemed to really love it. I love doing “big” things for our ward, because I think it draws us closer together. The next big thing will be our Valetines Social. You will be home in time for our summer party! Hooray for that! 

I had a ton of things going on at work this week, but probably the highlight of the week for me, even more so than the ward party, was taking Bonnie Alison to the temple on Saturday morning to do sealings. You remember her? She’s nearly 80, a really sweet old sister. You home taught her with me. Her husband recently passed away. She has never done sealings before, so Mom and I took her with us on Saturday to do sealings for my family and a couple of Mom’s. The truth is, I wouldn’t have gone at all because we’ve been so busy, but I wanted to take Sister Alison to the temple. The Spirit was so strong! She really enjoyed it, and I could tell that she felt the Spirit. We are going to help her do the baptisms for her family. It’s so awesome! On Monday we had the Brough family over to our house and I helped them find family names. It’s so much fun! 

Your little brother was pretty awesome in the Shakespeare play. I didn’t get to see it, but Mom showed me the video. I went with GP and GMA Valentine on Saturday (after the sealings) to see Amanda receive her Associates Degree at the Air Force. I got to see her plane. It was cool. 

I’ve been doing tithing settlement the past three weeks. I was at the church until about 6:40 tonight with tithing settlement. I love it because I get to talk to so many ward members. It’s fun!

I’m eager to hear about the transfers, and to learn if anything changed for you. I hope you’re still having a good experience in the office. Remember how your Patriarchal blessing said you would learn about your career decision while on your mission. What have you learned? That you don’t want to work in an office??

Well, for a short letter this was kind of long. I’ll write you about my DC experience with President Obama and President-Elect Trump. I think we’re going to hang out Monday night. 

Love ya, son!

Dad 

No comments:

Post a Comment