Monday, January 9, 2017

Pre-Christmas Email (December 19)

pop skadidilly doo dad,

Heyya ther! Ah dun got me sum ´tings tuh say ter yuh tuhday!

Can you translate that sentence?

Elder Judd and I have been having a good time working together. One of the families that we were teaching is from the Assembly of God (if that's a thing in English) and they were doing pretty well, but we haven't been to them in a while because... well it's a long story but we'll be going back soon, I hope! And the other family (Cardoso and Susana) have been really busy working and will stay so until January. I found out last week that here in Portugal, just about everyone works the entire month of December, even Saturdays and Sundays. It's like some law to make it so that the people who work during the week normally can go shopping for Christmas stuff. I don't know if I have told you, but Portugal is has a crazy economic situation. It's like the second poorest country in Europe, and it shows sometimes. We meet people who work for €1.50 an hour! That's nothing! And they work like 14 hour days, so they'll get like 20 bucks a day. It's sad! 

Funnily enough, there aren't a ton of service opportunities, because there aren't a lot of agencies that do stuff for the poor, but we look to serve where ever we can! Yesterday we carried a table for a couple that was moving, and we carried it uphill for like a mile, which was so fun! I love serving because people don't expect it and they get a lot nicer when you serve. :)

STAR WARS!!!! Haha oh man. I saw a part of a trailer for it a few months ago at some store, and then I kind of forgot about it until last week when we saw a big billboard with a poster of it! I actually thought it came out a while ago since I hadn't heard anything about it after that one trailer. Gah I'm so excited to see these movies. But I really like being far away from the American culture, because it will be a fun culture shock getting back home! Mom is awesome for making those costumes. Speaking of trunky movies, are the new Sherlock episodes coming out soon? I'm excited for those too!

Ethan told me that he is having some bullying problems, has he told you a lot? I feel so bad for him! 

Yeah I remember AP tests being during the same time as musicals and how stressful it was, but it was also a lot of fun. I hope Anna is enjoying being a busy teenager! It's 100x better than being a lazy one!

Yeah I've got your username too! I'll be able to call you on Christmas 8 PM my time, 1 PM yours. Speaking of that, we are having a big Christmas Devotional this week, for which I put together a big mission slideshow for the year. It reminded me of all of the projects that you do! And on Christmas Eve, Sister Amorim invited us to a dinner at 9 PM at the mission home! Whoop! I'm excited!

Well that's all for now, if you have anything else until the SKYPE CALL!!! just message me! Love you dad!


Love, Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment