Monday, April 3, 2017

"Quick Greetings" (March 7 Dad and Spencer)

Hi Dad!

That's awesome about the zone conference and the lessons for the youth! It would have been so cool to do that when I was there - I didn't even go out with the missionaries to teach or anything. Although, I don't even remember having seen the missionaries that much, haha - only like twice, once for dinner and once when we helped move some stuff at an older sister's house. Anyway, how are the youth doing with it? What did you do for zone conference? There is a quote in Preach My Gospel that says something like "the spirituality of the ward will grow when missionary work is made a focus," and I can totally see how that is true. Members come closer, church meetings are more spiritual, the Church really grows when people are focused on the work! It's another thing that I want to keep with me for my whole life - a desire to be a part of missionary work!

That's sad that Brother Cleveland passed away. It's... interesting to think that these things can really happen to anyone. Anybody can be affected by a sickness or get in an accident, and it changes lives. It's one of the reasons that I am so grateful for the gospel; it gives us perspective and hope. I'm sure that God wants His children to always know of His love for us, especially during hard times. 

I hope you're having fun in your meetings! Haha as fun as they can be. What have you been studying recently? Do you study things specifically for members, when needed? What is something that you've seen change in yourself from being a bishop? 

Love you Dad! Have a good week!

Love, Elder Valentine!

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Elder Valentine

Howdy, Elder! I’m at work right now but wanted to send a quick note to you. Last week—as you know—I was in Vermont. It was a good trip. It’s a beautiful place! Then the weekend was all about Anna’s Little Mermaid play as well as a really difficult yet spiritual experience which I’ll tell you about in a minute. Sunday I held a zone conference with all of my ward missionaries. We now have four adult ward missionaries plus all of the Laurels and all of the Priests. The Laurels and Priests have now been out on two visits as companions. They have taught the first lesson in Preach My Gospel twice, to two different families. This Sunday they are going out again to different families and are teaching lesson 2. I am so excited about this. I can feel the spirituality already increasing in our ward. I can feel the strength already growing in our Priests and Laurels! 

Tomorrow I will be presiding over, conducting, and speaking at a funeral in our ward. This is for the Cleveland family that moved into our ward about a month ago. However, I have know the wife for a few years now. She directly reports to me at work and now I’m also her bishop. They moved to one of the new homes in our neighborhood after receiving a strong spiritual prompting that they should come here. The husband—Nathan—has had cancer for several years. Just in the past few months, though, the cancer got really aggressive. When Laura moved to our ward he was in bed at a hotel the entire time, too sick to even be there. 

I was able to go to their home Friday morning and give Nathan a blessing of release. This was a profound spiritual experience. The veil is so thin. I could feel his Heavenly Father calling him home. In the blessing, the Spirit whispered that it was okay to let go, that his life and offering was acceptable to the Lord, that his family would be taken are of, and that His father was calling him home. It was a beautiful, sweet experience. Of course this is incredibly difficult for Laura to lose her husband. They are about me and mom’s age but have very young children, ages 4 and 5. She had great faith but it will be hard for a long time, maybe for the rest of her life. Yet she knows the Plan of Salvation is real, the Atonement is real, and that Jesus Christ lives and loves her. This is truly what the Gospel of Jesus Christ is all about.

Well, so much for quick! Now I need to run. Have a great week! Looking forward to your emails.
Love,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment