Monday, April 3, 2017

RootsTech and Flu - Spencer and Dad

Here's an exchange between Elder Valentine and Dad Valentine on February 14:

Hey dad!

What a blessing! It's been a really good experience on the mission to see the hand of the Lord in every part of my life and the lives of others - I think that before the mission, I didn't realize how important Faith is in every moment. I've learned that faith is not something passive - it is us doing everything we can and trusting in God to deliver, and then no matter what the result is at the end, realized that God allowed it to be how it is for a reason. Like, Ethan told me that he got sick and couldn't perform in his solo and ensemble performances, which is a really big bummer; but honestly, all I could think was "what did God expect Ethan to get out of the turnout?" And I hope Ethan can have a positive outlook on it, though I know it's hard since I felt the same way about things in Junior High. Basically, it has been a really big blessing to be able to have "eyes of faith" recently and I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father for every day that passes because I can see His hand in everything that I do, and that you guys do back home. So anyway, I agree that it's an amazing blessing that you only got sick at the end, and I'm grateful that my dad has a testimony strong enough to be able to say that!

Get better dad! I'm feeling great and Bruno and Liliana came to church with their kids this week and liked it, and this coming Sunday we are going to have dinner with them and an awesome young couple in the ward, so that's exciting! Bruno told us that it's getting easier for him to believe in God, which is a huge step from where he was before; it's going really well. We went to KFC (they have that here!) and ate a Valentine's day meal and it was pretty funny because everyone else eating there were couples haha! I sure hope that I never spend another Valentine's day with another man... but it's the mission so it's totally okay. 

Alrighty love you dad! Have a good day at work if you're there, and if not, have fun doing nothing you sick dog!

Love, Elder Valentine!

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Hello, Elder Valentine! 

It’s been an incredibly crazy week for me. As I said last time, this was my RootsTech week, the busiest week of the year for me—and probably the most stressful. I promise that tomorrow I will write a good description of the week for you, along with some pictures. You’ll have that in your inbox for next week if I can’t get it to you early enough. But here’s a tender mercy:

I had major events I was responsible for every day last week. I was up on the main stage in front of 10,000 people at the Salt Palace and 100,000 people watching from home and church buildings around the world. I did live TV style interviews also seen by that same group of people. I was in charge of major partner meetings and other events. With all that—plus Mom’s cake competition that she’ll tell you about—there was just no way I could miss any of it. I asked Brother Gibby to give me a blessing on Tuesday so I could make it through the week.

So what happened? I made it through the week without problem. RootsTech was a huge success! Then, last night, just after we got home from Salt Lake, I started to feel sick to my stomach. By the middle of the night I was throwing up. Yep. I came down with stomach flu, but it was right AFTER RootsTech! Isn’t that amazing? If that would have happened any time earlier it would have been catastrophic. But as it turned out I was able to stay home from church without any problem and get better without missing anything!! Such a huge blessing!

We are all pretty exhausted from the last few weeks. Your mother in particular has been working so hard on costumes for the kids plays and her cake and our ward Valentine social and taking care of all our needs and on and on and on. She has been getting about 3-4 hours of sleep a night. We’re all worn out! 

I’m still achy and dizzy from the flu and have a bit of a fever, so I’ll go now. I just wanted to share that tender mercy with you.

Hope that YOU are doing well and YOU are feeling well! This week I will contact Utah State about your scholarship and getting re-admitted and classes, etc. I’ll have a report for you by our next email.

I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow!
Love,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment