Monday, April 3, 2017

"Springtime in Utah" (March 14 emails from Elder V and Parents V)

Hi mom!

Bruno and Liliana are doing well - they talked to us this last Sunday and said that they were thinking about pushing back there baptism until they could be in a more financially stable situation. So they might be getting baptized like later this year - for me, that's okay; my only worry is that during all of that waiting time, they will be tempted too much and stop being as strong as they currently are. But they said something really cool - they want me and Elder Judd to come back to Portugal next year or a little after when they get sealed in the temple! Haha it was really awesome. So that's a little sad, but they said they won't stop going to church or having lessons or whatever - we'll just need to do our best to keep them strong, and after the mission I'll just have to keep in good contact with them for the same reasons. 

Oh my goodness. The ward is so big! Haha I'm not even kidding, the primary is almost double the size of the ward I'm in right now. We're averaging 78 for sacrament attendance. That's so crazy!

I'm glad the funeral went so well. Ethan told me a little bit about his spending time with Laura's kid, and he said he felt good serving. 

Haha well I won't talk too much about the accident with Anna. That's sad that the adults were rude about it! Like, talk about a confidence-killer and respect-loser for them. Haha it kind of reminded me of the different types of people I have met while proselyting here; like, most of the time people are a little impatient and don't listen but nothing too bad, and sometimes people are nice in their decline, but other times I meet people who I just don't understand how their brains work - like, there is a level of inconsiderate-ness (not a word but whatever) and, just, unkindness that I really can't understand. It makes me so glad to be "enlightened" by the gospel, because I really think that's what it is! And granted, I can't judge people because I know there are all kinds of situations people find themselves in, but I hope you understand what I mean. I'm glad to be the person I am because of Christ, and I'm very grateful for it.

Relief Society! That's awesome! Haha it sounds like what I've felt sometimes on the mission - every Sunday we worry and stress about getting people to church (this last sunday we had 6 investigators in church!) and making sure they interact with members and that members do the same, and that their questions are answered and they don't feel uncomfortable, and we try to mark appointments with members to do missionary work, and we get asked by all sorts of ward leaders to do little tasks for whatever reason... anyway! It's so fun but it'll sure be different when I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff, in a sad way and in a good way.

Amanda has a boyfriend! And you like him! WHOO! Haha I'll get the details from her!

The weather is warm here too - I'm in a short sleeved shirt today!

Four way companionship - well, it's just like a normal companionship, just with two other missionaries ;) for real though, it's pretty fun! We switch every day who we work with - yesterday I was with Elder Wait, today I'm with Elder Trindade, tomorrow I'll probably be with Elder Judd. It's stressful sometimes to plan or do companion study or do companionship inventories (like, we talk about our problems and how the companionship is doing) because there are so many of us, but so far we have stayed pretty organized which has been a blessing. We live in the SMALLEST HOUSE EVER (oh yeah, we ditched the other house because we wanted to not be there haha) for four elders, but that as well has been pretty good. God is blessing us right now, for sure, because I feel like this would normally be a stressful thing but it's been going really well lately. :) 

Random fact - I have to sign lots of stuff here in the office for mail, notarizing things, etc. President Amorim sends out a "welcome packet" to new missionaries (he didn't have it put together when I came out because he was new) and I have a letter in the packet informing new missionaries about some specific stuff to bring (that would have been nice to get when we were preparing, haha) and I sign each letter. Also, this last week, the contact manager our mission has with a phone company came to the office to negotiate a new contract with us, and Elder Wait and I were the only ones who knew anything (I take care of the mission phones btw) so we had an hour long meeting, in portuguese, negotiating a contract. It was pretty official. I felt cool. ;) We are in a crucial battle against flies in the office - they come in swarms and we are killing SO many. There have been lots of casualties. On the flies side. It's a long battle but so far we are winning haha. 

What is Ryleigh like? And Porter? I don't really know them haha! What is your favorite Bible story and why? (Either old testament or new testament or both) Can you pinpoint a moment when you really knew the church was true? Or that the Restoration was true? 

Love you mom! Have a great week! :)


Love, Elder Valentine!

Hi Dad!

I'm glad that the service was spiritual. I only got to skim through your talks (I printed them off and will be looking at them tonight), but I can tell that you prepared super well for both talks. I hope that I can get to that level of being able to be prepared; but I'm also sure that there was a lot said that wasn't in your talks, which is the other thing I want to be able to do better, which is to talk by the Spirit after having prepared my best! I think that that balance, our own preparation and diligence vs. our dependence on God, is one of the most important principles I have come to realize on my mission, and it will be my "mission" for my whole life to not only understand the principle, but to be able to apply it into my life - because when I can get there, I feel like it'll be a good day to say the least!

Anyway, I'm glad it went well. I heard that Anna's play also went really well! She kind of mentioned a wardrobe malfunction but besides that I only heard good things haha!

Well! I guess I don't really have a lot for this week. I kind of explained Bruno and Liliana's situation to mom, and besides that, we are working with a pool of about 8 or 9 investigators that we are trying to get to progressing. We've been working hard and it's been fun to be in the quadrupla! I asked mom a couple questions and I'll ask you a couple too - what's your favorite scripture? Or if that's too hard you could pick on out of each of the standard works. Why is that one your favorite? (I also hope I haven't asked you these questions) What has been the biggest blessing for you since being called as the bishop? Can you remember the first time you really felt the Spirit?

Love you dad! I'll read your talks tonight. Thanks!

Love, Elder Valentine!



On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Elder Valentine,

Hello, my son. I hope you’re having a great week! It’s been a busy one for me. This past week was the funeral for my friend’s husband. He passed away on Friday and then service was on Wednesday at our stake center. The chapel and overflow were packed. I was a bit nervous about the details of the funeral. Usually a funeral home is involved and they take care of lot of small important things, but they didn’t have a mortuary involved at all so it was up to me. Because of the rareness of the cancer they donated his body to the study of the cancer. It makes me wonder what kind of doctor you will be. I don’t think you’ll be a researcher because I think you like people too much! I think that your time in the office has convinced you that you want to work with people more than research. 

Anyway! The funeral was very spiritual. It’s obviously a very tough time, but also a peaceful and spiritual experience for all involved. I attached to this email the talk I gave, in case you want to read it. Also attached is the talk I gave Sunday. It was ward conference, and so the speakers were me and the stake president.

Along with the funeral and ward conference we basically spent all of our evenings at Anna’s play. I was at the temple on Saturday morning, thinking about how much you loved to go to the temple. We’ll go right when you get back so you don’t have to wait! 

This email is pretty short, but I do have the two talks that you can read if you have time. I’m taking Mom to the Donny and Marie show this weekend, and she has VIP tickets to go backstage and see Donny! I hope all goes well with that, because if it does I should get the “husband of the year” award. If not, I may get the “biggest screw up of the year award”! So here’s for hoping it all goes well!

Have a great week! Love ya!
Dad 

No comments:

Post a Comment