Sunday, April 17, 2016

"Progress, Finally!" March 14 Group Email

Dear everyone, 

This week, Elder Barrett and I had a family come to church! We were so so happy to see them there! Their names are Luis, Priscilla, and Beatriz is the daughter. They were some former investigators that we found the record for, passed by their house Saturday night, and had a good lesson with Luis. He likes the elders a lot, but he was having a hard time keeping the word of wisdom and law of chastity, kind of like all of the other people here in Portugal! Haha oh boy. I hope I didn't already tell this story, but a game that is kind of fun to play here is to count how many cigarette butts you can before you get to your next appointment. Record so far is over 300 in 15 minutes. Really funny. But anyways! Luis and his family are really nice, and we pray that they will have the desire to come back to church and keep commitments! We also found a house of 6 college girls who all were super nice and interested in hearing more, which is a nice change from most of the college kids here! The people here in Coimbra are either really old or students at the University of Coimbra, and not a lot of in between, so Elder Barrett and I crash a lot of college parties on the weekends. It's actually really fun! I  love teaching kids that are more or less my age - it makes me think about how the gospel is blessing me right now, being on a mission rather than partying, and about how I can better teach for young people. Unfortunately all those girls live outside of Coimbra, but we invited them to church in their respective cities, so other elders will teach them. A really awesome thing that I have been learning here is how much that this work is NOT about me. We give lots of references to other people by talking to people who pass through our area, and we have seen some really neat success from the other missionaries from our references. It made me really happy to see those people being taught even though it wasn't me and my companion, and helped me see how important it is that we just work for the salvation of these people, and not just to get numbers for our area. 

This week, I would just like to share one of my favorite scriptures with you guys. it's D&C 84:88 -



 88 And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.

I really love this scripture. It really makes missionary work seem a lot easier! And it is a real blessing for you in your life right now. As we do God's will, he will send His angels to give us strength! How sweet is that? And it's real. So if you need some heavenly help, say a nice little prayer and let Heavenly Father bless you with His angels. That's all! 

Have a great week! I love you all! I love being a missionary! 


- Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment