Thursday, November 5, 2015

Portugal Week #3: Group Email - Spencer Robbed??!!

Elder Valentine gave us a fascinating tag-line for his latest email. It was a real attention-getter! It about caused his parents a heart-attack! This isn't the first thing you want to hear from your son!

Email title: "Getting Robbed in Week 3"

Ola todas as pessoas!
Haha wow. This has been a crazy week! First off, we got our car broken into on Tuesday, so that was cool! Fortunately, my companions and I didn't leave anything valuable in the car, so we didn't get anything stolen, but one of the Elders in our apartment, Elder McGhie, got THEIR car broken into as well, and got £200 (in euros, 230 american dollars) and a nice GPS stolen! Sinto muito! But he got it reimbursed, so that was good. Haha! Portugal is crazy. But it has been a really good week besides! We had a crazy Halloween party on Saturday, which was super fun! The people here in Portugal are SUPER superstitious about EVERYTHING (for example; if you shake hands with someone over another two people shaking hands so your hands cross over each other, they think it is bad luck), so witches and anything halloween is pretty sketchy for them, so we had to make sure the party was super chill. We had a bunch of fun games and lots of food and we invited everyone we met to it, and we had a good turnout! I definitely bought a wookie pajama suit for the party. Way good. We have been teaching a ton of lessons and finding a lot of new investigators, who we will be teaching this week! Also, all of our investigators are progressing very well. I love the people here! Anibal and Conceição are so accepting of everything we have to teach them. It rocks. We taught them about tithing last week and they said "finally! We were wondering what we could give to the church!" How cool is that?? Everything about the church is that way for them! They are quitting smoking and getting married and doing all of these things so willingly. The only downside is that Conceição really loves to make fun of me because I can´t speak Portuguese. But that´s a small price to pay for their eternal salvation! We have their baptisms marked for the 22nd, if I haven´t already said it. Whoo! Conceição also cooked us this "soup." Ahem. At first, it looked great. It was just a strange grayish - brown, but I was pretty optimistic. Then she explains that it is made up of pig intestines, and all of the organs of a pig, blended together, thickened with congealed pork blood. Yummy. It definitely had a strange texture. Haha Conceição said "Nos portugeses têm o melhor comido no mundo!" or the portuguese have the best food in the world. She was very proud. Unfortunately, Conceição, not everyone in the world loves blended pig parts, but tudo bem. I will say that the pastries are to die for. They´re like 50 cents and are always delicious. ~

This week, I have been reading a lot about Christ and how he was chosen from the beginning to be the Savior and all of this awesome stuff about Him and His ministry. It amazes me that someone could be perfect and willing enough to pay for the sins of every person who has lived on earth. I am so grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ, and for His sacrifice for us. I am so grateful to know of it, too! This gospel is His gospel! How blessed we are to know it, and to live it! Because he suffered, he knows exactly how to bless us and help us when we need Him. Take advantage of this gift our Savior has given to us and become more like him. I am starting a 40 day fast of everything that I feel is keeping me from being 100% the best missionary I can be, based off of a talk that our president gave us. There is SO much to improve on. But I know that because my Savior knows me, He will help me with this fast. I encourage you to better yourself through your Savior, because He WILL be there to build you up into the person that God sees you as. 

Okay! It´s been a great week, and I´ll talk to you all next week! Peace out!


-Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment