Monday, November 23, 2015

Week #18 - Baptism!

Exciting news from Elder Valentine this week! Read on!

Dear Everyone,

We had a baptism this week! Woo hoo!!! Rodolfo (or Celso Rodolfo Loureiro Castro Sousa, as I had to memorize for the confirmation) was baptized on saturday! He is the brother of MÂȘ DoCeu, and is super firm in his testimony and we are just so excited for him! I confirmed him in church yesterday, and I was worried that my Portuguese would be bad during the blessing, but the Lord blesses us SO much, and it went fine. I love seeing people progress in their knowledge in the gospel, from taking the first lesson to being baptized, and seeing their spiritual growth! I wish that everyone here in Portugal could see the changes that come to people who live the gospel. They just become so happy and loving and it's so great! 

Today is transfers, and we just sent my companion, Elder LeBaron, home. It was super sad. You gain really great friends on the mission and it is super hard to say goodbye, even though you only know them for a small amount of time. But the work must go on! Elder Johnson and I are still companions and we are with the other AP now, Elder McGhie. I don't know why I am so blessed to be with awesome missionaries right now, but it's so great! He works super hard and I'm super excited to serve with him.

I have been reading Jesus the Christ lately, which is an amazing book if you haven't read it. I have really come to know my Savior through my studies of His life! One of my favorite teachings of Christ is in Matthew 7, when he talks about the good tree bringing forth good fruit and bad trees bringing forth bad fruit, and Christ states in verse 20, "wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them." I have seen this story working in my mission. So many people have a religion but are confused about doctrine or don't live what they believe, or believe something that doesn't bring forth good fruits. But the Gospel of Jesus Christ is only good fruits! You can test them by studying the Book of Mormon and praying. But these are ACTIONS. Too many people are unwilling to test the fruits and receive the blessings because they are just lazy or say "oh, I don't have time for that." Of course you do! Man, I hear that answer so much and I really don't like it. Christ should be your number one! Your life will be blessed beyond your comprehension as you follow the example of you Savior. So ACT! Do something! Christ and your Heavenly Father will bless you as you do.

Have a good week. :) I love my mission! I am so grateful for my opportunity to act 24/7 and serve my Heavenly Father. Until next week!


- Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment