Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Mid-Way Through August Already

Hey mom and dad! So your pictures are all super awesome. You guys looked like you had so much fun! I have a couple things to tell you for the week. Office work is busy, and it's funny because everyone has been really stressed lately but I've been super chill working! I mean, we are really busy like always and stuff like today happens where I don't have p day but it's not like the worst thing in the world. My area here is kind of weak; the missionaries who have been here recently are like super... not the most hard working elders I have ever met and left us with not a lot, so I have some big work to do with proselyting! It has been REALLY hot here - so hot that fires are popping up spontaneously around here! There was a HUGE fire really close to porto and it has been super smoky everywhere! We don't have airconditioning here in portugal in houses and stuff, so we have our windows open a lot, and all of my stuff has ash all over it! It is so crazy! 

Also, random facts - when car accidents happen, people have to wait for the cops - like, they can't move their car an INCH from the scene of the accident. So if an accident happens in the middle of the freeway and is in the way off lanes of traffic, it just stays there! And accidents are like super common, haha! They are like Utah drivers but since there are a lot less mormons, drunk people crash a lot more and drive even crazier. Also, something that portugal does really well is the garbage. They have these huge garbage can/pit things all over the place; they dig down about 20 feet and put a big garbage lid over the whole, and you just take your stuff and throw it in the whole that is just dug into the sidewalk. It's pretty cool! They also put the same types of holes for recycling bottles, paper, plastic, etc. right next to the garbage wholes, so recycling is a big thing here. Have I already said that I use the metro a lot to get around? It's basically the subway. And lots of public buses! Like I use them a few times a day and I have a monthly pass with my picture and my name "valentine, stephen" because they don't understand here what my name is. 

Also today for the mission council President Amorim used Apollo 13 clips to show examples of faith and hard work, so I totally watched parts of a movie today!

That's about all for this moment. I'll try and write as much more as I can to you guys. I feel really bad that I haven't been able to write more or send pictures, but it's just been really busy here. I love you lots though! don't stop sending letters or anything. I'll just read them later! Love you!

Love, Elder Valentine!


No comments:

Post a Comment