Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Reply to "Dad of Year Award"

Hi dad! Haha oh my goodness the amount of sarcasm and punniness in your letter was almost too much for a son who has gotten used to regular people for so long! I am sending my letter to you guys today or tomorrow and I hope it has a good amount of humor to make you proud. There is even a Bryan Regan reference in there! Great minds think alike!

So yeah this week has been kind of slow. I don't want the fam to get the wrong idea - I really enjoy working with Elder Karthigeyan and helping him grow as a missionary. There have been some hard times this transfers but it's not like a bad thing or anything! I hope you guys haven't been thinking that I haven't like being with him or training again! It's a really good experience for me because it helps me refocus on being simple and on how to be helping others always, even within my own companionship.


Oh my GOODNESS I am so jealous of all of the fun stuff you guys are doing without me! What's gonna happen next summer? Nothing, eh? Fine. I'll just go to college or something. An elder here, Elder Garcia, gets home a transfer before me and lives in salt lake, and we are going to go to Cafe Rio together when I get back because he lost a bet back in coĩmbra! So who even needs Grand Canyons??

Yeah I know sister barrett! She is a super hard working missionary. She is like Presidents example to the mission for all kinds of missionary stuff, so her father should be proud! She really is one of the best sisters here!

Psh mission sweetheart my butt! Gross! There isn't a way in a hundred years that I could date a sister that I served with. It would be SO weird.

Dad, please don't run STARK RAVING MAD AND NAKED THROUGH THE BUILDING! Only on a Tuesday when it's the 2nd day of the month in August. Fortunately, that's tomorrow. 

I got kicked out of my computer place so I'll have to wrap up for a bit, but I love you dad! Thanks for the letter and telling me what's up with the fam! It's so fun to hear what you guys do!

Love ya!

Love, Elder Valentine!

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Stephen Valentine <ValentineSJ@familysearch.org> wrote:
Hi, Spencer! Did you have a transfer? Are you still in Gaia? New companion? New apartment? New tie? New life? 

So I should be up for the “Dad of the Year Award.” Yesterday, in a fit of sheer madness, I took Anna and Ethan FISHING from like 9-1 and then to In and Out Burger. After spending the afternoon cleaning, and then cooking dinner, I took Ethan to Lagoon! Have you heard about the Cannibal ride? OH. My. Gosh. It made me scream like a girl and cry like a missionary who just got a Dear John letter. Terrifying and terrific at the same time!! Oh, by the way, both Ethan and I caught a fish, but Anna didn’t. Sad face! But she is learning how to cast, and how to swear like a fisherman, so that’s a start.

It’s a beauty. Fish is a beauty. It’s a . . . Beauty fish. 

On Thursday, Mom and I went up to Girl’s Camp. Hopefully Anna will tell you all about it. We went up for bishop’s night. We participated in their evening program and had dinner with them, then each of the bishops got to have their “bishop fireside” with the girls. It was good fun. I did an object about coconuts. Yep, coconuts. That’s all I’m going to say. See if you can come up with an object lesson using a coconut. Yes, I used an actual coconut in the lesson, but no animals were harmed in the filming of that fireside. Anna, also by the way, was one of the mean and selfish virgins. She did a great job of it. Too good. Seriously, it was a really spiritual evening. They talked about the choices we make every day that influence the kind of person we will become. The Spirit was strong (the force is strong in you . . . Powerful Jedi you will become. Hmm. Powerful Jedi) and the girls all did a great job.

Mom and I spent the night in Midway in a nice little condo I rented. Friday we did some shopping and then went to see the new Jason Bourne movie, which was pretty awesome. I guess I should make a list of all the movies we are going to see when you get home. Movie Marathon!

I’m currently at the church, sitting in my office. Ethan is here right now setting up for a Court of Honor. He is receiving something like 3,345,052 merit badges, give or take 3,345,046 of them. Seriously, your little brother is on fire (FIIRRRE FIIRREE FIIRRRE, Out of the frying pan and into the FIIRRE, FIRRE, FIRREE . . .and yes, Wock and Woll dream weally do come twue!) with scouting right now. Mom and Anna are coming here in a few minutes, then we’ll have a nice little Court of Honor that will go on like ten hours or until I go STARK RAVING MAD AND RUN NAKED THROUGH THE BUILDING or maybe something along those lines. 

By the time I write next (or the next time you get to read one of my abby-normal emails—you put an abnormal brain inside a seven foot tall, three hundred pound, monster!) me and Anna and Mom will have been to the Shakespeare festival! We are leaving on Thursday. We will see Much Ado About Nothing on Thursday, then run down to a little thing called the GRAND CANYON on Friday, then back from another play on Saturday. Yawn. Not much to do there. THEN on your next P DAY we will be on our way to Jackson Hole. So in other words we’re all sitting around without much to do.

Okay, I’ve been a bit silly here, but I figured (hoped? Feared?) you may be missing my bad humor. In all seriousness, the Gospel is awesome and true and we love you! Oh, there is a Sister Barrett that is coming home from Porto like next week. Her parents moved into a ward with a person I work with. Did you know her? She wasn’t, um, ahem, your, uh, mission sweetheart, was she???!!

Spencer, I miss you, man. I miss joking around and having fun and finishing each other’s sentences and eating each others sandwiches and singing the same dorky songs. But I’m SO grateful for where you are! So don’t get trunky! Enjoy every minute! Plus, it saves me on having to pay for your Alpine Slide at Jackson or the Bar J Wranglers BBQ dinner ticket, or the play tickets or . . .just kidding! You are the one out there doing awesome things in PORTUGAL!! I’m the one envious of YOU!!

Have a great week, my son. I can’t wait to hear about your week. I’m in a ton of meetings in the morning but I’ll try to at least reply with a quick note. If not, I’ll talk to you again next week.
Love ya!

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment