Monday, February 8, 2016

Letter to Fam - January 25

Hey family! Jeez, things are kind of going crazy right now. My area is not having a ton of success, but me and Elder Barrett are doing our best. We have taught a few lessons to potential investigators, but none of them went through! But that's not the important thing right now. We just keep working and trying to find people to teach. We are doing a big thing with the members right now where we make a huge list of everyone they know and then help them find ways to help all of these people come closer to Christ. We hope to get some solid references out of it! But yeah,

Dad - our training right now is going well! Elder Barrett is learning the language very quickly which is awesome. We practice lessons and talking to people and he is doing well with it all. We take an extra hour and a half to do this kind of training, so sometimes the new missionaries get antsy to go out and work, which I love! Right now, we are trying to get with this older lady who knows a sister from the ward, and we are going to read the Book of Mormon with her and get her to church on Sunday, which would just rock! Besides that, not a lot. Not an excuse, but we live and work on the very outskirts of Coimbra, so all of the people live far away and are spread out. It makes for a lot of cool views of the night sky! I saw a shooting star last week! I don't know if I said that. We actually had a WORLDWIDE missionary training last thursday with a few of the apostles and some other general authorities over the missionary work. It was so so good! The theme was "preach repentance and baptize converts" and talked a lot about being worthy of the Spirit, which is kind of the theme of the training I am going to give on Thursday. It was two hours long, but if you could find it, it was really good! I personally am trying to not eat a lot of food right now... we ran out of money because the three trips I have taken to Porto are expensive, so we ran out by like the 13th... haha oh man. Elder Barrett eats a TON. Struggles. But it's all good! Haha I'll write ya a little more in a bit. Love ya!

Mom - That story is so cool! Man, I hope that I get to go to Madeira at some point in my mission. Apparently it's gorgeous. But even more important is that story! I love the strength that those Elders had to make that invitation. I big problem for missionaries is being brave enough to invite people to make that covenant, but in a recent study on "preach my gospel" I read that if we as missionaries don't invite people to make this covenant, we are essentially denying them the Atonement. It is our duty as servants of the lord to teach and testify of the validity of the Savior's work in His church here on earth, and invite people to follow His path through baptism. Thanks so much for that story! I am so glad that you guys got to go to the temple! That is seriously something that I miss a ton. But don't worry. The mission is the best trade off! I haven't heard from Ethan, so I will bug him in just a sec.

Kimber and Kevin - man you little cute family you! Both of your kids are growing SO much. It's insane. The differences just between pictures is huge. I don't know if you guys see it, but fo' reals. And kimber - yeah, the Portuguese people basically listen to ONLY american music! Haha it's actually really funny! Any time we are around a lot of people we hear an american song. I've heard/tried to ignore some new songs I hadn't heard before the mission! Congrats on your callings! I know that you guys will be a huge strength to the ward because you guys are awesome. :) I'll pray lots for your niece. That's so sad! But I'll say lots of prayers. Love ya!

Ethan - bro! What crazy fantastic exciting news happened this week? Let me know homes! I have been praying lots for you with the science project and with your choosing of counselors so I hope everything is going well for you. Love ya bro!

Anna - I hope you are being careful with that cute dancer boy. And my beautiful car that I left you. ;) What are the dates of your show? I realized that I don't know! 

You guys rock! I have to write the president about my training thing so I gotta go but I love you lots! Hi uncle Adam and Shaela and all the kids! :)


Love, Elder Valentine!

No comments:

Post a Comment